The City & Guilds Group’s internship programme, ‘Intern To Work,' is a great opportunity for young people from less advantaged backgrounds to gain paid work, training and networking over a six-week period
The Intern To Work programme runs each year, in City & Guilds Group offices across the UK. Applications for our 2019 internships will open shortly.
Joining the programme is a great way to gain exposure to an office environment and raise your awareness of the types of careers available within the City & Guilds Group. It is also a practical way to prepare for our Group Apprenticeship Programme or a career in one of our entry level roles. You don’t need any previous experience in a similar role as we’ll support you every step of the way and provide you with excellent training.
What does the programme involve?
- You’ll have the opportunity to work within a team of professionals who are experts in their fields, and support them in successfully completing tasks on behalf of the department that you work in.
- Depending on the team that you’ll be working with you’ll have the opportunity to develop different skills, such as your customer service skills through customer visits and answering customer calls, or organisational skills by working on a number of different projects.
- Alongside your day job you’ll also attend weekly master classes to increase your employability including sessions on how to use social media to build your professional network, and how to standout from your friends when applying for jobs through support with CV writing and interview techniques.
- During these sessions you’ll also have the opportunity to hear from our inspirational Management Board Directors including our CEO on their personal career journeys.
- Along with the other interns completing the Intern To Work internship, you’ll work on a group project putting your collaboration & project management skills to the test.
- At the end of your internship you’ll deliver a presentation as a group to the other colleagues that you’ve been working with over the six weeks.
The programme consists of three key elements: your day job, weekly employability master classes and a group project.
Who can apply?
- First generation to go to university
- A care leaver
- In receipt of, or previously been eligible for, free school meals (FSM)
- Either less than five GCSEs at C/5 and above, including English or Maths or past or predicted grades CCC or less at A-level (or equivalent)
- Lives in 30% of most deprived area of the UK. *measured by the indices of deprivation
Our programme has been developed to support young people from less advantaged backgrounds who may have a smaller or no professional network. To apply for our programme you must meet two of the five Eligibility criteria:
If you’re not sure you meet the criteria, more guidance can be found in our Eligibility Guidance document.
You are unable to apply if you’ve already completed the Intern To Work programme within the City & Guilds Group.
Our fast track promise means that if you receive a positive appraisal during your 2018 internship, and then apply for one of our Group wide Apprenticeship roles, you’ll be fast-tracked past the initial online selection stages and speed straight through to one of our assessment centres.
And you’ll also receive coaching to support you through the process.
- Complete business critical work and earn a salary of £10.20 in London & £8.77 in the rest of the UK per hour
- Work on a group project with other interns which will help you to develop new skills
- Have a dedicated business mentor who’ll support you and oversee your work
- Have lots of opportunities for development – including taking part in our Make a Difference Volunteering Programme
- Leave your internship with professional connections
Through completing the Intern To Work Internship programme you will:
Applications for Intern To Work are currently closed. When applications reopen the roles available will be displayed here.
Step 1 - Eligibility
As a part of the application process you will first have to meet our eligibility criteria. See more in the 'Who can apply?' section.
Step 2 - Short online application form
If you meet the eligibility criteria you’ll progress to the next step. For us to understand whether you’ll be a good fit for the role we’ll ask you five questions about yourself to get to know you a bit better. See our Application Guidance document for some top tips on completing your application.
Step 3 - Online aptitude game
If you’re successful in your application we’ll send you a link to complete an online aptitude game. It’s really easy and pretty fun, so no need to think too much about it, just play away. At the end of the game you’ll receive a report which shows you your strengths and areas for development.
Step 4 - Face to face interviews
Face to face interviews will take place from 19 March 2018 – 6 April 2018 so you’ll need to make sure that you’ll be available at some point during this period if you are successful in your application. Once all face to face interviews are completed we will make formal offers week commencing 9 April 2018.
Applications for Intern To Work are currently closed. Please click here to be added to our mailing list and notified once applications reopen.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org