No matter which business unit you join at the City & Guilds Group we strive to live our purpose of developing our people to progress into a job, on the job and onto the next job. This focus on our people means we are really proud to hold Investors in People Silver Accreditation status.
When you join us we look at your development through the following lens:
- The majority of individual learning and development occurs when you are on the job. Be that in a new role, working on a specific project or even simply learning a new task. These are all experiences that will help you be the best you can be and support you developing into future roles. You can hear and see some of our employees talk about their experiences within the City & Guilds Group here.
- Learning from others is another important element. Whether it’s being shown by a colleague how to use our systems or having someone answer a question, both are critical to you being successful. When you start with us we expect your manager to appoint you a 'buddy' who will help you settle in and support you getting up to speed quickly.
- Another aspect is formal learning. As a sign of our commitment we invest in both local development initiatives and a Group Learning & Development team that advises, supports and signposts each of the above elements. We have a portfolio of learning programmes for our employees such as On-boarding, an online learning portal available globally for all employees through to Leadership Development for our new people managers.
Wherever we can we strive to use our own educational products & services for our employees. This helps us bring the best possible products and services to market and deliver value for our clients around the world. Examples where our employees are using our own services and products includes:
- Kineo's online learning platform Totara
- Kineo's Management Plus
- The Oxford Group's 5 Conversations
- ILM's qualifications
Some other development opportunities we offer are:
Enhance your Productivity through
All of our employees globally have access to an online learning portal provided by Kineo. Within the portal employees can study anytime and anywhere on such varied topics as:
(for UK employees)
- Creative writing
- Exploring film noir
- Fencing for beginners
- Project Management
- Glass making
- Trapeze artistry
- Project Management
- Language classes (including Italian, Arabic and Armenian)
- Stand-up comedy
Provides you with matched funding so you can develop work-related skills or learn something of personal interest. In the past we’ve matched funding so our employees could go on such courses as:
Where studies can be clearly linked to our organisational goals, we give targeted support towards vocational, academic and professional qualifications. Our support can cover financial assistance, study leave (up to a maximum number of days each year) and flexible working arrangements for study purposes.